At Leonard Cheshire and through our partner organisations, everything we do is about supporting disabled people to live, learn and work as independently as they choose, whatever their ability.
For the purpose of monitoring and evaluation of International Programmes, we gather personal data from our beneficiaries so that we can:
- improve your experience
- provide you with additional support
- monitor the progress of the project
- assess and measure the difference the project is making to you, your family, and community
- learn what needs to be done to make the project better
- and together achieve our vision
We take your privacy very seriously. This privacy notice sets out what you need to know about why and how we use your personal data. By ‘personal data’ we mean name, contact details and any other personal information you give us. By ‘special personal data’ we mean any personal information you provide us on your disability or rehabilitation information. The personal data of our beneficiaries is protected by specific legislation:
- Prior to 25 May 2018: The Data Protection Act 1998
- From 25 May 2018: The UK Data Protection Act 2018 (incorporating the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (Regulation (EU) 2016/679)
- Data protection legislation in your country
As the laws about personal data continue to develop, we will update our privacy notice accordingly and let you know about any changes. We take our responsibilities around data seriously, and it’s really important to us that our supporters, volunteers, campaigners and clients can access and understand why and how we use their personal details.
We promise to respect and keep safe any personal data you share with us, or that we receive from partner organisations. We will only collect and process your data in a way you reasonably expect, for example to keep you updated about our work or provide you with information that may be of interest to you. This privacy notice sets out our data processing practices (how we use your data) that we carry out through KoBo Toolbox and in person.
If you have any requests or queries about this notice, please contact our Information Governance Manager at email@example.com.
- What information will you collect about me?
- How will you use my personal information?
- Will you share my personal details with anyone?
- Where in my personal information housed?
- How can I find out what information you have about me or make a compliant?
- Contacts for each country
- When did you last review this notice?
The information we collect about you may include:
- Your name
- Your contact details – for example addresses, email addresses, phone numbers
- Your date of birth
- Information relating to your (or your child’s) disability or rehabilitation information
- Emergency contact details
We may use your personal information to:
- Carry out any actions, activities, or additional support you have planned with project staff, as long as you have consented
- Carry out any actions for safeguarding, protection, and in response to complaints
- Carry out due diligence
We may also use your personal information for other purposes where it is required or authorised by law.
Leonard Cheshire and [Our Partner Organisations] are joint-controllers of your data and will only disclose your personal data in the following circumstances:
- If we are obliged to by law
- If the disclosure is ‘necessary’ for purposes of national security, taxation and criminal investigation
- If we have your consent to share your details
- If we are sharing your details with consultants, a medical professional, or third parties we engage to process data or to carry out actions on our behalf (see below)
Leonard Cheshire may pass your information to third parties when necessary. For example: to a consultant to process data and conduct analysis; or to an enumerator to carry out an agreed upon action (as written in the beneficiary’s action plan).
We will only share data with a selected number of organisations who have signed our consultancy agreement which includes a data assurance statement. They must abide by our data protection protocol and be able to evidence that they are fully compliant with UK data protection legislation as well as that of your country. These organisations support our activities in improving our beneficiaries’ experience.
Our data is collected and processed through KoBo Toolbox. Data is securely held on a server in Dublin, Ireland. Needed data may be pulled to [Our partner Organisation’s] secure server or Leonard Cheshire’s secure server.
We always make sure that these organisations comply with UK and European Union regulations as well as the data protection regulations in your country and that your data is kept secure.
By signing the consent form (at the beginning of any data collection process) you acknowledge and agree to our processing of your personal data in this way and are allowed to withdraw this consent at anytime.
You have the right to see what personal data we hold about you (this is sometimes called a ‘Subject Access Request’). Furthermore, if you feel that the way we have used your personal data does not meet the expected standards, you have the right to contact your project country representative.
To obtain a copy of the personal information we hold about you or to make a complaint, please write to:
LC Kenya: EAR@leonardcheshire.org
LC Uganda: EAR@leonardcheshire.org
LC Tanzania: EAR@leonardcheshire.org
LC Zambia: SAFO@leonardcheshire.org
LC India: SARO@leonardcheshire.org
LC Bangladesh: SARO@leonardcheshire.org
LC Philippines: EAPRO@leonardcheshire.org
LC South Africa: SAFO@leonardcheshire.org
We aim to issue an initial response to all enquiries within five to ten working days, and will offer a full response to all information access requests within 1 month of receipt.
This privacy notice is subject to change from time to time. It was last reviewed in December 2018.