A warm welcome to Oakwood
We provide support and rehabilitation for people with brain injuries in a friendly and safe environment, where you will be able to make choices and work towards independent and safe community living.
The team understands the challenges people experience after a brain injury. We will provide you with support and structure on a daily basis.
We are located in Offerton, Stockport. We will support you to go out into the community, making use of public transport to access local amenities, including a library, leisure centre, swimming pool, restaurants and shops.
Oakwood is regulated by the Care Quality Commission and accredited by Headway.
Facilities for you
Oakwood is a purpose-built building with accommodation for 13 people. Eight bedrooms have ensuite facilities, with the use of a shared main kitchen, dining area and laundry. There are also five self-contained flats, available for you to practice living independently.
Each has their own kitchen, lounge, bedroom and shower room.
Our rehabilitation packages can include:
- support to access funding for bespoke equipment such as eye gaze, saebo flex
- access to assistive technology
- access to external services for hydrotherapy and adapted treadmill sessions
- strategies to aid your communication and reduce frustration
- therapeutic support and assessment using specialist neuro-rehabilitation assessment tools
- rehabilitation support worker who will provide you with individual support to maximise your independence
- support to family members to understand brain injuries and the difficulties people can face after injury
- support for you to get involved in budgeting, menu planning and food preparation
We make sure mealtimes can be enjoyed by everyone. We will support you to get involved in menu planning and food preparation — this can be an important part of your rehabilitation programme.
While you are staying at Oakwood we want you to be active and get involved with community activities that can link with your therapeutic goals. We will help you to see what is available and what interests you.
The support each therapist will offer you will be dependent upon your needs and how your rehabilitation progresses. You will be expected to attend sessions and work with the team to take part in assessments, which will determine the goals you are working towards.
Assessments will look at physical and cognitive difficulties that you may be experiencing after your brain injury and try to help you with new ways to manage.
Health and medication
Our staff will be on hand to provide support so you can use medical and community services throughout your rehabilitation. We will support you to register with a local GP and help you to manage your medication and health needs as independently as possible.