Facts and figures
We're pulled together the latest disability facts and figures in one place.
Number of disabled people
- There are more than 13 million disabled people in the UK.
- One in five of us will be affected by disability at some point in our lives.
- Disabled people are twice as likely to be unemployed than non-disabled people.
- One in five employers say they would be less likely to employ a disabled person.
Source: ComRes polling, UK, 2017
- Disabled young people aged 16- 18 were at least twice as likely as their non-disabled peers to not be in education, employment or training.
- Over 40% of railways stations in Great Britain do not have step-free access.
- 35% of disabled people say they have experienced problems using the train.
Source: ComRes polling, UK, 2018
- Disabled people between the ages of 18-65 represent one third of social care users.