Jane Asher's lemon traybake
Actress Jane Asher is supporting Give and Bake this year by providing us with this beautiful lemon traybake recipe.
- 225g spreadable butter
- 225g castor sugar
- four medium eggs
- 300g self-raising cake flour
- one teaspoon of baking powder
- grated rind and juice of one large lemon
Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan assisted, 350°F, gas mark 4). Grease and line the bottom of a rectangular baking tray (roughly 30cm x 22cm)
Simply put all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat well together.
Turn the mix into the baking tray and bake for 35-40 minutes until risen and springy to the fingers. Let the cake cool in the tray.
Spread with lemony butter icing, mark into 16 slices and decorate each one with a sugar ‘lemon slice’.
Drizzle with lemon glace icing and serve with raspberries.
For a soaked cake, make a lemon syrup:
- In a small pan gently heat 125g sieved icing sugar in the juice of a lemon.
- Stir for 2-3 minutes until a clear syrup is formed, not allowing it to boil.
- Prick the cake all over with a fork while still warm from the oven, then gently spoon the syrup over it, letting it soak in gradually.
- Once cold, remove from the tin and dust with a little extra icing sugar.
Use Jane's recipe for a good cause — host a Give and Bake party!