Awards for disabled entrepreneurs
The Stelios Awards for Disabled Entrepreneurs in the UK is a business award run in partnership with the Stelios Philanthropic Foundation. It recognises the exceptional spirit and business ability of disabled entrepreneurs.
I am very passionate about encouraging an enterprising spirit throughout British culture. Helping to remove the barriers that disabled people face in business is an important part of this.Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou
Each of our five finalists win £10,000 with the winner receiving an extra £20,000 to help kick start their business or take it to the next level.
We welcome start-ups, social enterprises and companies which are already up and running.
Applications will open this Summer.
Who can apply?
Anyone based in the UK. We have applications from all arenas: from accessible wheelchair suitcases to pottery, mental health apps and adapted ice cream vans. Past winners have been drawn from the travel agency, building and IT sectors as well as businesses specialising in disability/mobility aids and sports.
Criteria for entries
- The award is open to disabled applicants* over the age of 18,
- operating in the UK only
- The award is open to registered and not-yet registered companies, charities and social enterprises
- A disabled entrepreneur must own at least 50% of the company
- The company must be at most seven years old
- The applicant must have, or plans to have, an active online presence
- Past winners and/or applicants are welcome to re-apply. Many winners have applied before
* We use the Equality Act 2010 definition of disability, which means this prize is for all disabled entrepreneurs / people with a long term health condition. If you have any questions about your eligibility, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Josh's business (Able Move) has created a portable solution for disabled travellers.
Hannah is the founder of Mental Snapp — a video diary app that helps people proactively manage their mental health.
Alex’s business (Freedom One Life) has developed a next-generation power wheelchair.
Geoff Holt MBE
Geoff's company (Wetwheels) operates fully accessible boats.
Ben's company (Visibilis) offers digital marketing expertise.