Social action volunteering is all about choosing what works for you or your group.
We have lots of short and flexible actions you can take as well as longer term actions — from simply sharing a message through to face to face volunteering.
In isolation and want to volunteer?
Our guide gives you an example of a 12-week plan for different volunteering activities you can do from your own home.
If you have a few minutes
- Cards, postcards or letters — Due to coronavirus, our homes are closed to all but essential visitors and staff. Could you help residents to feel less lonely by sending them a message? Find the service closest to you.
- Activities, games, and resources for groups — Some of our inclusive games and disability activities can be used for virtual meetings. Share the activities with groups.
- Birthday Fundraiser – Is your birthday coming up? Would you like people to donate to a charity instead of gifts and cards? An easy way is to use FaceBook Fundraiser and choose Leonard Cheshire.
- Join our campaigns — Help us build a fairer, more inclusive society.
- Change 100 leaflet — Download the Change 100 leaflet and send it to an employer to encourage them to employ a disabled intern in 2020.
- Amazon Smile — Choose us as your Amazon Smile charity.
- Speaker Network — Book a disability equality speaker. We may be able to arrange a remote speaker for your group.
- FixMyStreet — Report any street clutter you see to improve disabled access.
- Red Cord Cards — Order red cord cards to let venues know that emergency cords should not be tied up in accessible toilets.
If you have a few hours
- Speaker Network Posters — Email our poster to local businesses, schools and groups or send them a link to our Speaker Network page. If you need some inspiration read our example emails (Word - docx format - 18KB)
- Organise a virtual quiz — Don’t feel isolated during isolation! Our readymade quizzes are the perfect way to keep you connected while staying safe and saving lives. Order your quiz pack.
- Changing Places toilet campaign — 1/4 million people need Changing Places toilets to enable them to get out and about. Support the Changing Places campaign.
- Make your community more accessible — Download our community access survey packs.
- Organise a bake sale — Order a Give and Bake pack.
- Sell unwanted items — Have a sort out and choose a few items to sell and give some or all of the proceeds to us. You may have to wait to sell/post until everyone can safely be around each other again, but you can do the sort out now.
If you have a few days or more
- Become a Speaker — Deliver presentations about our charity to groups and or support disabled people to deliver disability equality and inclusion sessions.
- Sign up for one of our events — Pop on your running shoes or grab your bike and sign up for one of our events.
- Volunteer for us — Volunteer in one of our services.
- Help combat social isolation — Organise a small inclusive activity with a local disability group