Rachel Khoo's vegan cocoa bean cake recipe in support of Give & Bake
Rachel Khoo, a Le Cordon Bleu trained pastry chef with an international reputation, created the fabulous vegan cocoa cake recipe below.
Rachel Khoo's vegan cocoa bean cake
Serves eight to ten people.
For the cake
- 240g cooked black beans (or one 400g can of black beans, drained)
- 100g dates, pitted
- 175ml vegetable or coconut oil
- 80g ground flaxseeds
- 80g cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 150g maple or carob syrup
- 1 tsp salt
For the icing
- 2 very ripe avocados
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp carob or maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C (fan)/gas mark 6. In a food processor, blend the beans, dates and oil together to a smooth paste. Add the other ingredients and blend until everything is well incorporated.
- Pour into a 20cm cake tin lined with baking paper and use a palette knife or spoon to smooth the top. Bake for 45 minutes in the centre of the oven or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack before placing carefully onto a serving plate (it breaks easily!).
- To make the icing, scoop the avocados out of their skin and blend in a food processor with the other icing ingredients. Adjust the syrup to taste. Use a palette knife to spread over the top of the cake. The cake will keep in an airtight container for several days.
Bake for a good cause
If you love baking, share your talents with your friends and raise money for a good cause at the same time! Join Give & Bake.