Annual report 2014/15
Disabled people living the lives they choose
Our annual report and accounts not only gives an overviews of our activities over 2014/15, it also provides the opportunity to tell you, in a wider sense, what we do and why we do it.
‘It is with a mixture of sadness, gratitude and pride that I compose this, my last message as Chairman of this fine charity.’
‘Ilyas has looked back over an extremely rewarding period in our history, and it seems right that I should look to the future. Especially since we have recently agreed ambitious strategies to do more to support more disabled people worldwide.
‘It may seem odd to respond to straitened times across many countries with a plan for growth. But the need is there and we must respond.’
In summary: how we supported disabled people in 2014/15
|Directly supporting the people who use our services||624||0.5%|
|Total charitable activities||153,328||98%|
- directly supporting 6,700 disabled people in the UK
- improving our properties so homes stay safe and vibrant
- making sure our staff have the right skills
- running 50 work and volunteering programmes
- supporting more young disabled people into work
- training employers to understand more about disability
- helping end inappropriate 15-minute care visits
- launching our campaign for more disabled-friendly homes
- helping 5,500 disabled children into primary school
- training and supporting 7,900 adults into work
- putting disability on the international agenda
Supporting disabled people
- running our customer helpline
- our Customer Action Network — making changes disabled people want
- choice and empowerment by personalising support
We've also implemented new ways to become more efficient as a charity.
- 4,000 volunteers supported disabled people in 2014/15
- 250 corporate and community groups held team events such as garden takeovers and fun days.
- over 350,000 hours of volunteering time, worth an estimated £2.3m.
We will focus on six strategic objectives over the next year, with milestones and key performance indicators to measure our progress and keep us on track to achieving our goals.